view printer-friendly version (opens in new window)
In Search of UTOPIA (Usable Technology for Older People Inclusive & Appropriate)
A free one-day workshop by the UTOPIA (Usable Technology for Older People Inclusive & Appropriate) project on ICT and the older consumer.
"By 2006 people aged 60 and over are predicted to form the largest segment of the population and remain so for the next 20 years. Did you know that people aged between 50-64 have a gross income of £60 more per week than the average? Did you also know that over 40% of those the UK Disability Discrimination Act covers are over 65 years old?
The UTOPIA Project has been looking specifically into ways in which technology can be adapted to suit the older user. This workshop will discuss our findings and the issues surrounding the design of technology for older people, such as:
- The profile of the older population.
- Older users' attitudes towards technology.
- Commercial opportunities for new products and services for the ageing population.
- Understanding older users' needs.
- How to design interfaces for older users.
- Legal issues involved and legal incentives towards including older people in design.
If you work in a consumer-driven role, develop products and services or provide information and services to the public then you canít afford to miss our workshop on how older people use technology.
The Workshop will include talks, interactive hands-on sessions, discussion panels and video sessions from specialists in the field of ageing research and industry practitioners. There will also be opportunities for discussion, networking and viewing exhibits of the research UTOPIA has carried out to date. The programme is flexible and sessions will be repeated at different times during the day, so you can choose to attend sessions to suit your preference.
- Jim McEwan, Director of IT, Scottish Power & Chairman of ScotlandIS.
- Alan Fraser, Head of the Scottish Executive's 21st Century Government Unit.
This event is supported by the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council (who funds the UTOPIA Project) and BCS-HCI."
Date: 20 April, 2004
Venue: Euroscot, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Event website: http://www.utopiaworkshop.org.uk
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org